Friday, January 7, 2011

What I learned from just smiling...

I guess we are never too old to learn.

While on my mission to spread kindness and starting with a smile, I was very surprised at the outcome.

What did I expect to happen?

Well, I thought that I could brighten someone's day or help someone overcome a bad mood.  I hoped that I could help to make someone that was getting ready spew their nastiness on others to think twice and maybe just change their attitude.  I expected that a smile to one of the elderly people that I encounter each day might help to remind them that they are not alone.

What actually happened:

The person that was changed the most - ME!  Now those that know me, know that I smile quite a bit anyway.  Actually, I thought this was going to be an easy thing for me to do, and the main reason I choose smiling to start my mission, since I smile naturally.

How I was changed:

I had my bad mood brightened by smiling at others.  Instead of spewing nastiness or reacting to others negative words, I smiled and my mood changed.  When I was confused or uncertain, I smiled and the worries just seemed to slip away.  

I thought that I was going to change others and spread kindness.  I am so glad that the person that was changed was ME.

Many of you joined my mission to spread kindness.  I can not wait to hear how it went for you!!!


0 comments: