Thursday, September 30, 2010

Update on Spreading Kindness Freely!

On September 18, 2010, I wrote about some ways to spread kindness and ideas for random acts of kindness.  (See spread kindness freely post

Since posting, I have tried to actually complete at least one random act of kindness each and every day - more if possible!

I am naturally a "smiley" person and try to be kind to those I come in contact with, but it is challenging to deliberately set out to complete random acts of kindness each day. 

My largest challenge was getting caught up in my day to day activities and realizing that I had been kind to those around me but had not accomplished an actual random act of kindness. 

Here are a few of the acts I was able to accomplish - they were also easy enough to fit in when time or opportunity seemed to escape me.
  1. Leave enough money in the vending machine for the next person to get a treat.  (We have both soda and snack machines at work and I try to leave change in the return for someone to find and be able to buy something or just to have some change in their pocket)
  2. Smile and say hello to someone you don't know.  (This is very easy for me - something I have always done - but I still enjoy doing each and every day!)
  3. Compliment a stranger about something they are wearing.  (I have found that this works much better with females as opposed to males.)
  4. Hold the door for someone.  (This one works with everyone.)
  5. Let someone merge into traffic.  (Although I do this whenever possible, I should note that living in the country where I may pass 1 or 2 cars on the way to work in the morning, I do not get the chance to do this as often as I would if I were living in the city.)
  6. Save Box Tops for Education for a local school.  (I have yet to find a school that does not take these.)
So, how did you do?  Did you even try?  It is never too late to start!

Keep me updated.  I am ready to kick it up a notch and see if I can - not only complete random acts of kindness, but encourage others to complete them as well. 

"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
-William Penn

Tomorrow is Friday - enjoy the day!

Debbie

1 comments:

Susan G said... [Reply to comment]

I am trying too! I loved the list that you published last month. I always try to hold doors for people. And I like putting a little extra money in a parking meter so someone will find the meter with some time on it and benefit from it (I know how much I love it when I find something like this)!