Wednesday, September 8, 2010

True Prep


I have been waiting for the book True Prep to be published since April.



30 years ago, the author wrote The Official Preppy Handbook which I received from my mom when I was still in junior high school and still have it to this day.  Here is the forward from their website:

TRUE PREP by Lisa Birnbach with Chip Kidd

From the author of The Official Preppy Handbook comes a new take on the old world that Lisa Birnbach turned into an international best-selling phenomenon thirty years ago. True Prep looks at how the old guard of natural-fiber-loving, dog-worshiping, G&T-soaked preppies adapts to the new order of the Internet, cell phones, rehab, political correctness, reality TV and…polar fleece. 

A small sample:

• Wardrobe: Recent prep brands we are forced to recognize. How to tell Casual Friday from, say, Saturday.
 
• Money: We never talk about it.
 
• Food: Does the Food Network mean we’re going to have to cook? Bake? Now you’re going too far.
 
• Scandals: Poor Mrs. Astor. When Mummy’s plastic surgery goes terribly wrong. Rehab and the slammer: the new prep schools.

• We’re outta here: When to name something after yourself, and when not. The right obituary.
 
• What to do with your dogs if you predecease them.
 
• NO TEXTING AT THE TABLE, PLEASE.
 
True Prep promises to be a whole new old sensation. On sale September 7, 2010.

Doesn't that sound like great fun?  At lunch today, I called the bookstore to reserve my copy.  While talking with the sales person, I asked if they have had lots of requests for this book.  His reply was first a chuckle and then he said "nope, your the first".  And of course I asked him if he meant today since the book was released yesterday and he said "nope, your the first one to request this book since we got it in".  So much for nostalgia - I thought everyone would be fighting for a copy - especially in New England.  Well, all that matters is that mine is reserved and my wonderful husband will be picking it up for me tomorrow!

I will let you know what I think of the book!  I can't wait!

Have a great week y'all!



0 comments: